Well it is now officially wintertime in Alaska. Unfortunately, one day after the first significant snow fall, Southcentral Alaska had its' first death as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. Inevitably every year casualties result from carbon monoxide poisoning, also known as the silent killer. To prevent this danger within your home here are a few reminders.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home
- If the detectors beep do not ignore the warning, exit the home immediately
- Have your heating system, water heater, dryer and other gasoline operated appliances inspected each year by a qualified technician
- Do not heat your house/cabin with a gas stove
- Do not use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline operated device inside your home
- If using a fireplace, always make sure it is properly vented before each use
- Never run your vehicle inside the garage
- Do not use any gasoline-powered engine (mowers, snow blowers, chains saws) in enclosed spaces
Please stay safe and warm this winter season.